A Software Engineer in the Platform Team you will be responsible for building and running custom software that will allow us to make our games a reality.
The components and online-services that support the game range from a matchmaker to get players into the game, social services and data storage for the game all combined together give the Game Teams the best tools to make an immersive experience.
Platform works with a platform-as-a-service model with our primary customer being the game team developing our internal games.
Strong programming fundamentals and experience is key to keep the codebase both performant, understandable and open to changing requirements of the fast paced environment.
- Build platform services, tools & processes that are built in house that will be consumed by the game-team who are our primary customer.
- Collaborate with the game teams to ensure their vision & requirements are satisfied by the platform; share engineering best practices and patterns; and ensure that they are updated with the capabilities of the platform.
- Automate as much as possible including builds, workflows & tools.
- Liaise with the production & commercial teams offering guidance where possible - Netspeak is a very data driven company!
- Design and architect the platform for not only our current needs but keeping the platform malleable and extensible for future upgrades.
Netspeak aims to build social worlds that people want to spend time in. Your mission is to ensure we have the components and services that will allow this to become a reality.
You are the driving force behind the platform. You will be empowered to make decisions and improvements that will benefit stakeholders designing, building & running games. From ensuring the games are scheduled efficiently to having ownership of the error rates of our data services (social, game data etc.).
Day to Day:
Software Engineers in Platform will be writing code mainly in Go to be deployed into containers running in a serverless model. The game team will be deploying their servers into a Kubernetes environment and calling out to various HTTP and gRPC endpoints to enrich the experience of the players. Although the main focus of the role will be Golang engineering, the Platform Team is also responsible for the uptime of the infrastructure and applications whilst supporting other teams on best practice for supporting software in production.
- Must have deep knowledge of programming fundamentals in any language; preferably in Golang
- No formal qualifications required
- No need to have worked in games previously
Salary is expected to be between £35,000 & £70,000 per annum d.o.e